You don’t need be an Olympic swimmer to join us, you just need some love for swimming; be it for fitness, fun or competition. Swim coaching challenges seasoned swimmers and folks new to swim squads.
We welcome swimmers passing through Melbourne and on the lookout for training buddies. If you fancy trying the squads feel free to come along.
Squad Training at Fitzroy Pool
We run three Squad Training sessions a week for club members. Non-members can attend two sessions before needing to join the club.
Training is based around preparing for competitions (pool and open water) and covers fitness as well as technique, skills and race specific training. Sessions are also suitable for members wanting to train for fitness and social reasons.
Sessions run for 75 minutes (60 minutes training plus a 15 minute cool down).
We are fortunate to have a Swimming Australia Advanced Licence coach. Tracy has many years experience training competitive swimmers and adult swimmers.
From September 2022:
- Saturday 9.00-10.15am (from September 17, 2022)
- Monday 6.30-7.45pm (from September 19, 2022)
- Thursday 7.00-8.15pm (from October 6, 2022)
- $12 for Yarra Roughies members ($9 for concession)
- $18 for non-members ($15 for concession) – two session limit
- Session cost covers pool entry.
- Sessions must be booked in advance.
- Cash payments cannot be available.
Am I Good Enough?
Speed doesn’t matter, but fitness does. As long as you can swim 400m of freestyle comfortably, and cover at least 1km when you go to the pool, you’ve got what it takes..
We normally swim 2-2.5 km in a 60 minute session. You can rest at any stage as you continue to build strength and stamina. We recommend coming to at least 2-3 sessions each week if you want to improve your swimming fitness.